Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A summary of my life up to this point, and why I decided to make this blog.

Hello; my name is Steven Savona. I was born on the 14th of January, 1993, at Westmead Hospital in Sydney, Australia. I was born via vacuum extraction, which is lucky, because I may have died without it. No, seriously.

My earliest memory is purposely smearing nail polish on my mum's bed quilt. I still don't know why I did it, and a part of me still feels guilty over it. My first school was St. Gertrude's Primary at Smithfield, where I attended from 1998 to 2002. It was there where I realised I had a peculiar interest in words and language, from as early as the age of six. It also came to my attention that I had a gift for making people laugh, and I often took it upon myself to be the class clown, especially in Year 4, which is perhaps when I experienced the height of my popularity. In the years 2003 and 2004, I attended Patrician Brothers' Primary School, Fairfield. Every now and then, I will remember the smell of my first day at that school. I enjoyed both of those years, with Year 5 being especially prominent because of the chaos my class caused for replacement teacher, Mr. Augustine.

My parents divorced in 2003, and I lost my last remaining grandparent on the 27th of September, 2004. Those circumstances, whilst unfortunate, didn't keep me from remaining optimistic about life.

My secondary schooling was completed at Patrician Brothers' College, Fairfield, and next Friday, I will sit my first HSC exam. High school was a time of ups and downs for me. I really enjoyed Years 7 and 8, because, let's face it, not many people took those days seriously. School was still about having fun. Year 9 proved slightly more challenging, but a breeze in the scheme of things. Year 10 was a major year for me. I regard it as the year where I changed the most. Not in an academic sense, but as a person. I made an erratic decision to hang around with a new group of friends, which, when I look back on it, was taken far too seriously. It's not like I deserted one group of friends for another. I merely made the decision to hang around an additional group. What makes this choice so significant is that my new group of friends initially didn't receive me well. Some of them welcomed me with open arms, but most of them shunned me, giving me the frequent 'cold shoulder'. I was suffering from an identity crisis, and didn't know where my place in society was. I would come home from school feeling downright depressed on some days. This caused me to develop a cynical worldview, which I still maintain to this day. I also fostered a strict sense of individualism, and came to the realisation that sometimes, the only person you can trust is yourself. That said, any problems that existed in Year 10 are all sorted now, and I get on well with both of the aforementioned groups.

Years 11 and 12 were quite boring on the whole, and I don't feel as if they deserve their own paragraph.

That's all I have to say about my past for now, but you'll discover more things as I write about them in the future. 

Now to answer the question "Why did I make a blog?" Over the past 12 months, a few people have recommended  that I should make a blog. I told all of those people that blogging may not be for me. I was even concerned that if I made a blog, I may develop an unhealthy addiction to it. Yesterday, for whatever reason, I had a sudden impulse to make a blog, but I didn't act on that impulse until today. The impulse may have stemmed from the fact that my friend Ralph made a blog earlier this week, not that I'm trying to compete with him. I already have a Bebo, Myspace, Twitter, Formspring and Facebook, though I only consistently use the latter two. Taking that into account, I guess that you could call me a 'social networking whore'. I don't know if blogs are considered as 'social networking' sites, but either way, I can now add this to my aforementioned list of websites. During my time on Formspring, besides dealing with trolls, I've answered some insightful questions in great depth. Formspring probably wasn't made for long responses, so having a blog allows me to vent my thoughts more freely. Having a blog will also allow me to get things off my chest. It will come in handy during times when I need to speak to someone, but feel too shy to initiate a conversation. You can expect the occasional rant, by the way. I will use this blog to share my thoughts with you - my readers, whoever you may be. My entries could range from a recount of my day, to a film review...pretty much anything when I think about it. I'll also share videos/songs with you that I think are funny, entertaining or meaningful, accompanied by my reflections on them. I shall now wrap up my first blog post, seeing as I have covered everything on the agenda. I can only hope that you take something from the things that I have to say, even if it's something as small as half a grin.

Take care, and enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment